My 1990 Golf Country.

› Forums › Members Cars (contains Photos) › My 1990 Golf Country.

  • This topic has 9 voices and 58 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #9411
    Ademaxx
    Participant

    Thanks, I hope I’ve done it right tho as the info is a bit sketchy on how much fluid to put in, this was the coupling off my spare diff and switched it for the coupling on the car, I plan to do the same to this coupling so if this one seems ok I’ll just repeat the process. I still ain’t got 4wd in reverse tho, I’ve purchased a new switch from vw heritage but still not engaging the lock solenoid. The only thing left is the relay but ain’t checked that yet. Do you know if there is a fuse for the solenoid?

    #9413
    re2
    Participant

    its not supposed to have 4wd in reverse. The vacuum disengages it- much to my annoyance when i got stuck in mud up to nearly the tops of the tyres!!

    #9415
    Ademaxx
    Participant

    I’m confused now, I thought the reason the switch on the gearbox has so many contacts is for the 4wd in reverse?? It’s supposed to clunk and lock the diff when put in reverse?? Or am I reading things wrong?

    #9416
    Chris S
    Moderator

    Actually you should have 4WD in reverse.

    #9418
    Ademaxx
    Participant

    Thanks Chris I thought this was the case, so how do I check this relay? Can I just put power to the contacts on the solenoid to check if that’s working?

    #9419
    Chris S
    Moderator

    The only way to really check is by substitution, does yours still make the clonk when you reverse? thats usually a good indicator.

    #9420
    Ademaxx
    Participant

    No I’ve never heard it clunk since I’ve had it, only recently got my reverse lights working. I’ll look into this when I get chance.

    #9422
    Chris S
    Moderator

    Normally its the gearbox switch that fails, or maybe possibly the actuating arm on the vacuum control in the rear diff.

    #9426
    re2
    Participant

    i best look at my Country then. Took me bloody ages to get out of that muddy hole!!

    #9427
    Ademaxx
    Participant

    If your reverse lights are working it looks like your in the same boat as me mate, let us know what solves it for you, I’ll do the same.

    #9429
    Ademaxx
    Participant

    Can anyone tell me does everything look normal in my fusebox? I’ve noticed there is a jumper wire joining two pins in the gap between relay 53 and 80, is this supposed to be there or has someone just bridged the two contacts for some reason?
    c6d18318.jpg

    #9430

    I’ll take a picture of my fuse box for you to compare! I’ll post it tomorrow.

    #9431
    Ademaxx
    Participant

    Thanks Clive I appreciate that!

    #9432

    This is my Fuse box;-

    IMG_4458-small.jpg

    Sorry about the wires everywhere, but someone has fitted a ‘lights on’ buzzer (which is even set off by the LH parking light!).

    Also I have replaced the wiper relay (19) with the programmable one (99) and someone has fitted a non standard indicator relay for the trailer socket.

    Otherwise I think it is identical to yours.

    #9433

    Sorry, I lied, I seem to have an additional relay in socket No 2!

    No 72 is for the rear wash/wipe.

    Strange! Is your rear wiper functional or just for show [;)]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

V2 of the vwsyncro.co.uk forums

banner for shortlands vehicle recovery and repairs, baskingstoke and M3 area
Site and hosting by Plus8.net
Firebeans crystal healing (new wordpress site) | Firebeans crystal healing (old site)