My 1990 Golf Country.

Forums Members Cars (contains Photos) My 1990 Golf Country.

This topic contains 58 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ademaxx 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author

Ademaxx

Thanks, I hope I’ve done it right tho as the info is a bit sketchy on how much fluid to put in, this was the coupling off my spare diff and switched it for the coupling on the car, I plan to do the same to this coupling so if this one seems ok I’ll just repeat the process. I still ain’t got 4wd in reverse tho, I’ve purchased a new switch from vw heritage but still not engaging the lock solenoid. The only thing left is the relay but ain’t checked that yet. Do you know if there is a fuse for the solenoid?

re2

its not supposed to have 4wd in reverse. The vacuum disengages it- much to my annoyance when i got stuck in mud up to nearly the tops of the tyres!!

Ademaxx

I’m confused now, I thought the reason the switch on the gearbox has so many contacts is for the 4wd in reverse?? It’s supposed to clunk and lock the diff when put in reverse?? Or am I reading things wrong?

Chris S

Actually you should have 4WD in reverse.

Ademaxx

Thanks Chris I thought this was the case, so how do I check this relay? Can I just put power to the contacts on the solenoid to check if that’s working?

Chris S

The only way to really check is by substitution, does yours still make the clonk when you reverse? thats usually a good indicator.

Ademaxx

No I’ve never heard it clunk since I’ve had it, only recently got my reverse lights working. I’ll look into this when I get chance.

Chris S

Normally its the gearbox switch that fails, or maybe possibly the actuating arm on the vacuum control in the rear diff.

re2

i best look at my Country then. Took me bloody ages to get out of that muddy hole!!

Ademaxx

If your reverse lights are working it looks like your in the same boat as me mate, let us know what solves it for you, I’ll do the same.

Ademaxx

Can anyone tell me does everything look normal in my fusebox? I’ve noticed there is a jumper wire joining two pins in the gap between relay 53 and 80, is this supposed to be there or has someone just bridged the two contacts for some reason?
    c6d18318.jpg

I’ll take a picture of my fuse box for you to compare! I’ll post it tomorrow.

Ademaxx

Thanks Clive I appreciate that!

This is my Fuse box;-

IMG_4458-small.jpg

Sorry about the wires everywhere, but someone has fitted a ‘lights on’ buzzer (which is even set off by the LH parking light!).

Also I have replaced the wiper relay (19) with the programmable one (99) and someone has fitted a non standard indicator relay for the trailer socket.

Otherwise I think it is identical to yours.

Sorry, I lied, I seem to have an additional relay in socket No 2!

No 72 is for the rear wash/wipe.

Strange! Is your rear wiper functional or just for show [;)]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

V2 of the vwsyncro.co.uk forums

Site and hosting by Plus8.net