April 14, 2016 at 9:18 pm #11258
do you mean your golf has been sat 11 years too and is nearly ready to run too? if so – awesome!April 15, 2016 at 11:34 pm #11259
Jetta GTX 16V SyncroMember
My Jetta has sat 11 years and I could put a fuel pump and battery on it to make it run. It presently awaits to import the Syncro bits that are at my friend’s house in Germany. I am in USA.April 16, 2016 at 5:44 am #11260
I hear they have post from germany nowadays..April 16, 2016 at 8:17 pm #11261
Jetta GTX 16V SyncroMember
Originally posted by ld50I hear they have post from germany nowadays..
Yep, but I have a lot of bits, almost a complete car and it is US$1,700 for post plus import fees. Things just take time, it would be a lot easier for me to just get an R32 here but I’ve had my Jetta for 20 years and want to restore it.April 23, 2016 at 3:07 pm #11267
IT RUNNNSSS PROPERLY o/
was just the missing vacuum system… plumbed one in and it basically just startedApril 23, 2016 at 4:34 pm #11268
video of it running here: http://test.vwsyncro.co.uk/forums/topic/ld50s-mk2-golf-syncro/#post-167April 25, 2016 at 12:17 pm #11269
fuel tank and associated spaghetti back in the car seems like next priority…April 25, 2016 at 7:25 pm #11270
epic day….fuel tank fitted on the nice new stainless steel straps, fuel pump bolted in, all the fuel hoses plumbed in properly. Wiring/fusebox loom mess cleaned up a bit and fuse box re-mounted… it drives!
There’s no brakes whatsoever so was only v careful moving it but it seems to work.
turns out the whole ISV thing seems to be not much of an issue atm, I disconnected it all and it still runs the same so will deal with that when I need to. There looks to be a bit more wiring I can remove once I’ve figured out what it’s for..but it’s starting to look like an actual car o/May 1, 2016 at 5:49 pm #11273
Yeah!July 2, 2016 at 1:46 pm #11291
Over the last couple of weeks I’ve just been working on a few little things, not exciting but stuff which needed to be done..
bled and got some semblance of braking happening on the front, cleaned out the rear drums, no $ to replace bits but got things moving again and have *some* braking on the back now too. Needs new slave cylinder/s on the back though so nothing happening from the pedal. est about 40-50% braking overall currently. I’ve found all the bits i need to rebuild the rears and will do when I have the spare $.
It still seems to smoke a bit from the manifold/downpipe join so potentially duff seal there, and some trouble selecting 1st gear so looks like something needs a bit of adjusting on the gear linkages too. Hoping to have a look at both of these today.
Could do with hooking the cooling fan up too I suppose though seems to run ok without it so far. That being said “running ok” is a conclusion mostly reached from “it sounds ok and didn’t catch fire” since I don’t currently have any sensors apart from the lambda probe so who knows really
Then I think it’s on to closing up the rear quarter panel and fancy stuff like having other sensors, bolting the wings back on, fitting the interior etc…July 2, 2016 at 3:00 pm #11292
we have cooling fan and more braking than initially thought. The fronts seem to work ok, just needed to wear through the layer of rust on the discs. Brakes strong enough to hold it still on the ramps so, resultJuly 2, 2016 at 7:56 pm #11293
leather interior is IN o/
After it stopped raining I went back to work on the car and the interior went in with almost no problems after sitting on the back seat in a duvet cover for over 10 years. looks great and despite the patchwork paint-job on the outside it makes the car look more “together” somehow. I’m sure fitting front wings and closing up the hole in the rear quarter will compound that effect.
I reckon the interior is now slightly more nice than it is shabby/in-bits. It starts, stops and is starting to resemble an actual working car of sorts.July 3, 2016 at 10:16 pm #11295
gear linkage sorted, now it selects gears properly. I also also welded a small patch at the back of the sill which i found needed sorting, and have the rear quarter panel prepped and tacked in place with a few “spot” welds and ready for full welding as soon as I can move again. hoping tomorrow, but may not be, that was two full days of hard labour.
thought i’d try the tig on bodywork and did some test welds on metal scraps, but turns out I’m not good enough with it yet for such fine work. I’ve worked out how to produce quite neat & repeatable “spot” welds with the mig but since you have to feed the wire manually with the tig the welds ended up being too variable to be much use. The good ones were really good so there’s potential there but the bad ones were terrible and that’s not what I need on my bodywork. More practice and perhaps fiddling with settings needed.
pix soon but I ran outta daylightJuly 17, 2016 at 1:18 pm #11783
Got the front wings on and the “chin” section fitted on sat, fixed the bonnet latch so it closes nicely too. It’s now officially resembling an almost complete vehicle…which is very cool.
- This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by LD50.
Attachments:July 22, 2016 at 12:04 am #18107
inspired by the somewhat rat-look wings and rear quarter I’ve gone ahead and ordered some matt black 2k to paint up the rest.
I don’t plan to keep it matt black forever but I reckon it’s probably quite an easy way of getting it all the same colour more or less…since at the moment it’s coloured everything from red-oxide primer,grey primer, matt black and about 30 shades of jade green…not to mention the 3 red doors.
I figure once it’s all uniform (ish) and roadworthy I’ll see about refinishing it in somehing more jade-green-like and shiny…but for now matt black will keep it simple (hopefully)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.