1990 Golf GT G60 Syncro – My heaven and my Hell

Forums Project Cars (contains photos) 1990 Golf GT G60 Syncro – My heaven and my Hell

This topic contains 509 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Housey 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 510 total)
  • Author

Housey
    Participant

Owner: Dan
    Model: GT-Syncro
    Year: 1990
    Motor: 1P 72kw
    LHD
    Extras: ABS, Electric mirrors, el-adj-headlights

Future Plans:
    Motor: PG 118kw G60
    Brakes: 280mm front, 239mm rear
    Suspension Adjustable
    g/box drivetrain: 02A, from passat G60
    Bodywork: stock

Heres some pics of the syncro :p

Grille was missing when i got it
    IMG_0503.jpg

the previous owner “tried” to delete the vw emblem on the back, i’m redoing this the proper way
    IMG_0504.jpg

ugly ass wheels, and that trailer hitch is going of, going bigbumper
    IMG_0506.jpg

dirty as hell on the underside. but i don’t care, i’m inside the car when i’m driving it anyways (lol)
    IMG_0510.jpg

1P 98BHP engine, dirty too. will be swapped with a 9A 2.0L Passat 16v engine
    IMG_0511.jpg

ugly interior, MK3 MFA stalk, will be changed to MK2 stalk eventually, speedo has been replaced by a non MFA one :( and since this pic was taken, i’ve taken out the door-cards, and replaced them with my rallye leather door-cards, and corrado G60 seats
    IMG_0519.jpg

when to the salvage yard, got myself a mint grille, took the lower trim-piece of to paint it :)
    IMG_0542.jpg

hopefully i’ll get it to look like a red version of my old mk2 :) only now with syncrosis :p
    golfen.jpg

no such user
    Participant

that car has a lot of potential :) ppl here in the uk go silly for 3door syncros IMO it needs an ABF not a 9A :)

Chris S

For its age it looks quite tidy!

Housey
    Participant

will insall a 9A engine with some small mods :) so performance wise, it’ll outrun a stock ABF :)

the good thing about it, is that it has almost no rust, only a few spots here and there, but no major stuff

re2

looking like a good project to get going on!

solomk1

3 dr syncros …….ya got a love them …nice car

dale

Housey
    Participant

can’t hate them :) hopefully i’ve get plates on it :) want to use it this winter :p

Housey
    Participant

so, things changes in a fast pace :)

bought a Passat G60 Syncro as a parts car for my golf :)

that should be alot of fun :P

Chris S

If you transfer the Passat front subframe compleat with motor, gearbox, driveshafts & everything, you will get a worthwhile 50mm track increase, the rear is the same width, identical diff, drive shafts etc, the only difference is disc instead do drum brakes!

The center section prop is the same (bearings) the outer sections are a different length & will need cutting down to fit the golf.

You can also compleatly swap the motor wiring loom & motor management computer over.

You will need to fit the Passat brake master cylinder to cope with the rear disc & 280mm front brakes.

Housey
    Participant

i’ve got a propshaft from a Golf G60 Syncro laying around, figured that could be used?

the complete front subframe will be changed over as you said. the mountings on the viscous unit is a little different, as you once said, the holes for the screws are drifferent, and larger :)

The Passat Got ABS, and so does the Golf, but a larger master cylinder will do the trick :)

engine, wiring loom and such will be changed over aswell

could be a fun car in the future :)

Chris S

i’ve got a propshaft from a Golf G60 Syncro laying around, figured that could be used? – yes its ideal.

the holes for the screws are drifferent, and larger :) – your Golf G60 Syncro prop will sort that out.

The Passat Got ABS, and so does the Golf, but a larger master cylinder will do the trick :) – absolutely, Golf m/c is 19.05mm, diameter, Passat is 20.64mm the same m/c as Rallye.

could be a fun car in the future :) – dont worry, it will be [:D]

Housey
    Participant

well, need to put a ****load of hours into this now. but, in the end, this would be a small beast :p fit for the icetrack we’ve got a few miles from here during the winter :P

Housey
    Participant

well, picked up the passat yesterday, the shell is in no good condition, but, took it for a test drive. engine runs good. charger isn’t the best. but that can be fixed. gearing was tight and smooth. propshaft bushes was completly ****ed. but that doesn’t matter, since i’m not using the propshaft anyways :)

the ABS light was always on, and the ABS didn’t work, might be a sensor, but i’m unsure on how to fix this

oh, and the central locking lived its own life, it suddenly locked when i was out testing the car. and the only way i was able to get out of the car was to climb out of the window :) and unhook the battery, then the pump shut down

still, that does not matter, since that is a part i won’t be using anyways :)

Chris S

it could be the ABS relay that is faulty, as 1 duff sensor will not stop the rest of the system from working, did the pump power up when you turned on the ignition?

Housey
    Participant

the pump makes a noise, yes. and you can feel that the pedal is moving just a bit when its started

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 510 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

V2 of the vwsyncro.co.uk forums

Site and hosting by Plus8.net